Being a collection of doggerel, verse, stories, politics, historical essays, satire, poetry, jokes, pictures and whatever else I damn well please on a variety of interesting (or otherwise) subjects.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Moon's a Harsh Mistress








Jimmy Webb - The Moon's A Harsh Mistress

See her how she flies
Golden sails across the sky
Close enough to touch
But careful if you try
Though she looks as warm as gold
The moon's a harsh mistress
The moon can be so cold

Once the sun did shine
Lord, it felt so fine
The moon a phantom rose
Through the mountains and the pines
And then the darkness fell
And the moon's a harsh mistress
It's so hard to love her well

I fell out of her eyes
I fell out of her heart
I fell down on my face
Yes, I did, and I -- I tripped and I missed my star
God, I fell and I fell alone, I fell alone
And the moon's a harsh mistress
And the sky is made of stone

The moon's a harsh mistress
She's hard to call your own.










3 comments:

  1. fabulous post - love the moon images , especially the cresent moon. What a touching poem...love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, man. The photos are superb. But the video...what can I say? This fellow has done a good job with the song, and the music video creator has just outdone anything I expected from the beginning to the end.

    Thanks for sharing this piece. When I saw the subject line, I expected something from the Robert Heinlein perspective.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_a_Harsh_Mistress
    What I found was so much better.

    73

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimmy Webb always had a way of expressing the unexpressable.

    ReplyDelete